I Want to Talk About the "You're an Idiot" Part

Does anybody else remember Field Day? It was that one day in elementary and possibly middle school where all students got a shirt, a different color for each grade, and participated in sport competitions. There were races, balloon tossing, hula hoop contests, tug of war, sack races, and so much more. It was my favorite day out of the whole year. I would bring an extra pack of markers so people would sign my shirt. Why did we do that? I was cleaning my attic over break and found so many shirts from my K-12 career that had scribbled signatures and weird drawings all over them. I still don't understand why we got these fresh shirts and wanted to ruin them with marker that would fade but never come out. There were also ribbons given out for first place, second place, third place, and participation.

 

The one thing that everyone could agree on during Field Day was that their grade was the best and everyone else was the enemy, someone trying to steal your first place ribbon. It did not matter that my best friend Sara of 5 years was in the grade lower than me; she was inferior suddenly because she was not in my grade and wanted to take my first place ribbon. I was in the hula hoop competition in 4th grade. I had been training all year for this moment and I let my entire grade know that I would be our representative. Sara was also her grade's rep. Once that whistle blew it was game on. I hula hooped my heart out until I was the last one standing. I jumped for joy and carried that blue FIRST PLACE ribbon with pride. But when I looked over at Sara crying because she was the first one out, I shrugged. Maybe she should have tried harder? Maybe that is what she gets for challenging the hula hoop master?

You're probably wondering a few things now. Why is Claire on this rant? Why was elementary school Claire such a jerk? Could Claire still win at a hula hoop competition now?

All valid questions. I will get to the first one. Second, Claire was a jerk because she was insecure and a really good at pretending to be a good person. And third, absolutely not.

During Field Day, I definitely subscribed to the "us vs. them" ideology. I suddenly went from being BFFs with Sara to her being the thing between me and victory. Hoggan describes this thinking evil of "the other side." While my schoolyard rivalry is not the same as this concept in the real world, it still reminds me of the basic understanding. Hoggan on page 14 describes the "advocacy trap" where we come to believe that the people who disagree with us are wrongdoers. We cannot collaborate and fix issues when we get caught in this advocacy trap; we lose sight of our original goal.

The book I'm Right and You're an Idiot also mentions in Chapter 2 of how we see this in relation to religion: God and the Devil, Moses and the Pharaoh, David and Goliath, Heaven and Hell, Good and Evil. I was raised Catholic by my mother and father. I was also the only Catholic granddaughter of my dad's parents. My uncles converted to their wives' religions and so my cousins were not Catholic. My grandparents supported my parents' decision to put me in Sunday school, because apparently going to church did not put enough Jesus in my life. I learned more about this line between being a good Catholic and sinning against my Lord and Savior. If I was not actively participating in the church, volunteering at church events, studying the Bible, confessing to my priest, then I must be a sinner and I must be on the path to burning in Hell for all eternity. It was this kind of thinking that led me to leave the Catholic church.

Putting everybody in a box, either your friend or your enemy, leaves out the vast grey area that exists in the world. Not everybody that disagrees with your viewpoint are your enemy. They can sometimes be your greatest ally. I would rather somebody tell me like it is, even if I do not personally believe it, than someone who will lie to me and tell me I am right all the time.


 

I also found fascinating about this chapter the concept of the push, pull, or collaboration strategies to change behavior, and the stances we take as friend or foe. I never thought of changing behavior in this way. It was always about persuasion, but persuasion can vary and each method has different results depending on the situation.

Here are some examples to exemplify these different strategies and stances:

  • I push-friend my brother into cleaning his mess in the bathroom because if he doesn't, I will tell our mother.
  • I pull-friend my friend into lessening her single-use plastic usage by convincing her she will save money by buying a reusable water bottle and it will look cuter than the regular Ice Mountain ones she carries all the time.
  • I collaborate-friend my family into picking a restaurant we will all like, even though each one of us have different tastes and cravings for the night but we can only eat at one place. We all put aside our original ideas to find one in common?

How can you use the push/pull/collaborate, friend/foe strategy for changing behavior in your community (at school, at home, in an organization)? Have you ever used "us vs. them" binary thinking in a situation and how did you overcome that thinking? How can listening to the other side help attain a goal instead of ignoring them and plowing ahead anyway? How can we help ourselves and others learn and practice breaking the advocacy trap?

 Also rate my meme game on a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best you've ever seen.




Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading about Field Day. It’s funny to think that the last day of school once was about sports competitions. It was also my favorite day of the school year. Regarding the different strategies, I have used the collaboration strategy the most. I have used this method while choosing dinner reservations for vacations at places my family has been to before. I remember using the “us vs. them” binary thinking in a high school cooking class. Part of the final for that class entailed cooking lunch and dessert in our kitchen groups. The school had a classroom with multiple kitchen sections. The groups would make the recipes at their assigned kitchen, and teachers would taste test the food. The teachers would vote which one they liked best. I remember students, including myself, were serious in making random meals to win the teachers’ approval in that our food was the best. I started to come out of that “us vs. them” mentality during the competition while I started seeing everyone’s meals. Some of the food had pretty presentations. It became more exciting for me to see what everyone else had made than winning the competition.

    When people begin to use the “us vs. them” thinking, I believe people should listen to each other and try to have an open mind. I know sometimes it may be hard to keep an open mind, even when someone disagrees with us. I think through practicing an open mindset, I believe people can eventually break the advocacy trap.

    I’d rate the memes 9 out of 10. The last one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me exhale air a little forcefully at times, your sense of humor is great! I have an "us v them" mentality about a lot of things, but they're all really trivial and I'm never blatantly toxic about it. I used to be super team Gryffindor before I realized I was actually a Hufflepuff, for example, which humbled me incredibly and still has me picking up pieces of my ego. I also tend to find "America vs Britain" discourse really funny; nothing turns me into a corndog eating patriot quite like a good British roast. I don't express the same mentality towards serious issues, though; I've always prided myself on being a mediator. This class has helped me deal with some weirdly-placed guilt in that I used to worry that it was a bad thing that I could somehow empathize/see the world from opposing viewpoints, but this can actually be a useful skill.
    Also I would say a solid 7/10, but I'm sure it's a 10/10 outside of academic blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a very fun post to read! I definitely think the "us v. them" mentality can b very poisonous for many people. If we are constantly thinking that someone is gaining up on us or that someone is trying to steal our status, then we feel threatened and become very defensive over what we have. I feel like that is the issue with many of our debates. Debates are supposed to be built for civilized conversation, but instead we find ourselves in ad hominem arguments, causing us to become defensive over our words and beliefs. If the "us v them" mentality didn't exist, I feel like debates would be much more successful in sharing thoughts and ideas. Instead, e just become aggressive and protective over our own beliefs. Solid 8/10 on the memes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For an us. versus them mentality, in my high school, it was the band kids against the orchestra and choir kids (I was orch and choir). And While I wasn't particularly proud of this mentality, I'll childishly say that the band kids started it--they refused to ride the same bus as the orch and choir state finalists, asking for a private bus; they wouldn't talk to us or consider us as "true musicians". This led to a distaste in me a well towards "them" and suddenly we weren't all musicians, it was a competition. I regret taking part in this culture because when I got to college, I was predisposed to thinking all band kids were stuck up and thus was a bit passive aggressive towards them during my first year here, which is extremely childish!

    Luckily, I've managed to change my bias there and take everyone to their own value, but it definetly takes time to reverse that bias, so it's just plain better to not form it in the first place.

    The suck-y thing is that humans innately form packs due to our social biology; I don't think we'll even be able to eliminate "us versus them" because in the distant past, that was a vital principle in keeping us alive.

    10/10 for the meme; I understand irony, even though I don't understand memes so I appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It's All Coming Together

Now This is Lit